29.10.15

A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT

Say Hello to my new favorite film! I fell in love hard with this one and at first screening and it already earned a spot in my top 10 favorite films of all time. Set in Bad City, a fictionnal persian town, this first film from writer director Ana Lily Armirpour tells the story of The Girl, a lonely iranian vampire played by Sheila Vand.
This so-called spaghetti western also introduces us to Arash (oh swoon!), maybe the only gentle heart in Bad City, who dreams of another life. Filmed in black and white, this story shot in persian (english subtitles) is unexpectedly one of the most romantic films I have seen in a long time. This film made my heart go BOOM and in an unexplicable way, if I could BE a film, I would want to be THIS film. Dark and romantic, soft and violent, with a very unique and strong tone. Now I can't wait to see Ana Lily Armirpour's next film, a cannibal love story (!!). A Girl Walks Home Alon at Night premiered at Sundance in 2014 and is now available to purchase in a beautiful boxet that comes with a little graphic novel introducing us to The Girl and to Bad City. A must see in my opinion, and my number one suggestion for Halloween week. Also: if I was dressing up this Halloween, I would have dressed up as The Girl. She's hella bad ass and I love her so!

Looking for other Halloween apropriate films? I recommand House of a Thousand Corpses for the graphic horror fans, Psycho for those who love suspense like me, Strangers if you want to be scared straight and Sleepy Hollow if you are more of a mood/ atmosphere enthusiast. I also  always recommand the Scream franchise, my absolute favorite! In  my opinion the first and fourth of the instalment are the best, and I would skip the Netflix featured series; I'm the first one disapointed but it's kind of garbage. Happy Halloween week everyone! Virginie XO